- Defined Benefit Plans (including Cash Balance)
- Defined Contribution and Participant Behavior
- Individual Accounts / IRAs
- Plan Trends and Participation
- Retirement Security Projection Model
- Saving for Retirement
- Most Viewed
- EBRI Bibliography By Topic
- Data Book
- Facts from EBRI
- Fast Facts
- Issue Briefs
- Policy Books
- President’s Reports
- Press Releases
- Special Reports
- Benefit Bibliography
- Benefit FAQs
- Links to Other Internet Resources
- Reference Shelf
- Special Issues of Periodicals
- What’s New in Employee Benefits
EBRI Center for Research on Retirement Income (EBRI CRI)
This center houses the EBRI IRA Database,™ which contains 14.85 million IRA accounts holding $1 trillion in assets. The database is being expanded to track owners’ behavior over time within the accounts, including contributions, withdrawals, rollovers, and asset allocation changes. Our recent publications show account balance, rollover, and contribution activity within IRAs. Further results will include asset allocation and changes in accounts over time.
This center also houses the integrated EBRI defined contribution/IRA database, which allows EBRI to track individual defined contribution participants as they change jobs and/or retire and roll over their assets into IRAs. EBRI uses this information to track retirees’ decumulation behavior as a function of individual characteristics and market dynamics.
EBRI Research on IRAs
EBRI Issue Briefs
- Copeland, Craig. “Individual Account Retirement Plans: An Analysis of the 2007 Survey of Consumer Finances, With Market Adjustments to June 2009,” August 2009.
- Copeland, Craig. “How Are New Retirees Doing Financially in Retirement?” February 2007.
- Copeland, Craig. “More Detail on Lump-Sum Distributions of Workers Who Have Left a Job, 2006,” July 2009.
- Copeland, Craig. “Lump-Sum Distributions at Job Change,” January 2009
- Copeland, Craig. “IRA Assets and Contributions, 2007,” September 2008
- Copeland, Craig. “Ownership of Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs) and 401(k)-Type Plans,” May 2008
- Copeland, Craig. “Total Individual Account Retirement Plan Assets, by Demographics, 2004,” March 2008
- Copeland, Craig. “IRA Assets and Contributions, 2006,” December 2007
- Copeland, Craig. “401(k)-Type Plans and Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs),” October 2007.
- Copeland, Craig. “IRA Assets, Contributions, and Market Share,” January 2007.
EBRI Research Focusing on Decumulation:
- Copeland, Craig. “Retirement Income Adequacy for Today’s Workers: How Certain, How Much Will It Cost, and How Does Eligibility for Participation in a Defined Contribution Plan Help?” EBRI Notes, September 2010.
- Copeland, Craig. “How Are New Retirees Doing Financially in Retirement?” EBRI Issue Brief, no. 302, February 2007
- Copeland, Craig. “Changes in Wealth for Americans Reaching or Just Past Normal Retirement Age.” EBRI Issue Brief, no. 277, January 2005.
- 401(k) Valuations Published: August 1, 2016 401(k) Balances and Changes Due to Market Volatility
- Data Book Last Updated: February 2013 A comprehensive collection of the most up-to-date benefit information available